Sunday 2 August 2020

Blockade Runner, Bandai 1/1000 scale - Part 2

In this installment of my build journal of the Blockade Runner, I will demonstrate the smoothing of the dry brushing effects using the glaze technique. I choosed to use Pale Grey and Grimy Grey - thinned with one part water to two parts paint and applied it with a round Kolinsky-sable brush from Nevkaya-Palitra. I like this brushes because a)it is inexpensive b) it as a long body that draws a lot more paint c) it has a nice "spring" to it as I sweep the paint across the model.


The colors are glazed over the brighter areas on the model. If you are not sure where to apply, the dry brushing phase will identify those areas for you. I used the sides of the brush to "sweep" the paint towards those bright spots and in the process smoothed out the grainy effects of dry brushing. 

The first step is to always to test out the paint consistency - not too thick and opaque but also not too thin and watery. 

They are applied to the high points of the model as determined by the effects from the dry brushing. Be mindful always that less is always more whenever highlighting is concerned.

With the coarse areas smoothed out by the glazing, I will next move on to enhancing the mid tones as well as the weathering of the model.

To be continued.....

Cheers,

Calvin



No comments: