Saturday 1 December 2018

The Passing of a Fine Mentor

On December 1, 2018, with a heavy heart I announce the passing of a passionate artist, great friend and mentor, Paul Quek. 



I first knew of Paul through his work displayed at a local model shop when I was 13 years old. back in my secondary days together with my old friend Julian Yap. When I finally got to meet him in person, I remembered how excited I was to have him critique my work. He responded with honesty, warmth and patience. He was the finest mentor a 13 year boy could ask for. Paul did not teach me how to build scale models; he showed me the love of scale modelling. 

He was a tremendous influence in my life and perhaps one of the reasons what I gravitated towards an education in Fine Arts. In 1998 he approached me to start a range of 1/16 scale historical figures. The range was to be called Dog Tag Fighting Men under his company Miniature Alliance. This was where I began to cut my teeth as a commercial miniature sculptor. A year later in the September of 1999, we would be travelling to Euro Militaire - the first of many overseas shows we would attend together. 

At England. Folkestone,2000.

Meeting the legendary Bill Horan in Rome World Model Expo 2002. 

In Penang, 2016.



Calvin



No comments: