Saturday 15 May 2021

Experiments with Photo Print Transfers - Day 3

 I was not feeling satisfied with the first attempt which I attributed to my poor decal application skills. There were too many wrinkles to tease out. I therefore threw the figure into a vat of thinner and started over. 

This round I took my time and I feel that the results are much neater than the previous attempt. I realised that a big sheet of plastic film is difficult to conform onto a highly wrinkled surface and thus decided to cut the sheet onto smaller pieces and stitch them along the crest of the folds. These conspicuous areas are also very accessible to mend with gloss varnish and paint. Mark Softer from Gunze Sanyo Mr Hobby was used to great effect in softening the plastic film so that it conforms easily to the surface of the figure. 

Trimming was done with  a color shaper on one hand and a fresh scalpel on the other. This operation requires a great degree of patience and precision. In all, it took me about half an evening and one afternoon to arrive at this stage and I think it looks promising from this point on. 


Cheers,

Calvin





No comments: