Tuesday 12 July 2022

1/16 scale Japanese NCO, Malaya 1942

A blast from the past. In 1999, I made my first ever commercial sculpt for Singaporean model company Miniature Alliance and later in the same year it won a silver medal at Euro Militaire. It was the most exhilarating time of my life as I have dreamt of competing at Euro Militaire for many years before. It was by first big break into the international scene and since then I had lots of opportunities to meet a lot of my heroes whose names I only knew from magazines. 

The figure was painted with Testors and Humbrol acrylics. The neck flaps were made from paper and the lanyard from a string of sewing thread. The vegetation consists of a mixture of dried plants purchased from a local florist. Despite its age and though today I could nit pick on some minor flaws, this figure remains one of my favourite and memorable pieces to date. 




Cheers,

Calvin



2 comments:

Mike Good said...

Hey Calvin,

I still remember this one. In fact, I still have the figure I bought from you all those years ago in my stash! It is a great figure and, who knows, maybe i will paint it one day....

Cheers!!

Mike

Calvin Tan said...

Hi Mike,

great to hear from you! This figure holds great memories for me as it was the first time we every met in Euro Militaire 1999. You were manning a trade stand for Kirin/Jaguar if I recalled correctly. I so glad that you still have this figure in your stash and I do hope you have the time to one day paint it.

Cheers!!

Calvin