Monday 6 March 2023

FineMolds 1/12? scale WW2 GI Caricature

You can say I am off to a heady start with this fun project of a 1/12? scale caricature of a WW2 GI from Fine Molds. For this project I decided to "borrow" some colour notes from Lucien Freud as well as his heavy and dynamic strokes to echo the caricature. I am no longer using a black primer base as I have completely switched to undercoating my figures with Mr Color lacquer-based Flat Clear varnish. As my painting technique involves layering thin glazes of paint akin to water colour painting, the lacquer varnish provides an extremely firm and porous ground for the AK Gen 3 acrylic paints to adhere. The objective is to "stain" the Flat Clear varnish with paint rather than to attain an opaque coverage. This saves me a lot of time "mediating" the wide scale of tones extending from black to white using my previous method.As proven, this result took only 45 minutes to accomplish. 

Cheers,

Calvin



No comments: