Monday 24 September 2007

Alte Kampfer

o
Hi All,

here's another 1/35 study piece I am concurrently working on whilst waiting for some additional research material to arrive for the earlier project. I started it early last week whilst the latter got stalled and though that it might be a good opportunity to review another brand of polymer clay called Kato.

I used a stock Hornet head and hands for the basic epoxy putty armature as a quick kick-start to this project. PPSh41 is from Tank (it's the only one that has top and bottom ventilation holes on the barrel I could find). Bino's from Royal Models and the helmet is from my personal spares.

Anyway back to the review....I 'm getting to like this more than the Super Sculpey Firm as it's much more opaque and waxier. Like the SSF, it feathers very well with solvents such as turpentine and thinners. I opted to use cellulose thinner as it dries more rapidly; meaning that the clay will revert from soft to firm much quicker. It cures realtively fast with the aid of the heat gun to a rubbery hard state that could be lightly sanded and carved.

It's obvious from the photo that a lot more work still needs to be done especially on the arms and not to mention the back and hopefully procrestination doesn't takes over....

Calvin



3 comments:

Dani Serrano said...

That dude looks really angry! :P

As always, nice one and great source of inspiration for others like myself!

Un abrazo

Anonymous said...

Brilliant work Calvin I especially like the realistic hang and creases of the uniform.

cesare serratore said...

Please, could you explain to me how you make hang,belts and creases of german soldiers?
I am a young italian model maker and I go crazy about your gourgious jobs!
Thank you very much
Cesare